There are a lot of supplements out there, BCAAs being one of them which is short for Branched-Chained Amino Acids. Protein is made up of many amino acids linked together. A BCAAs supplement is a few of those amino acids ( Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine ) in a powder form that you can drink or take as a capsule.
Claimed health benefits of BCAAs are:
- Enhance muscle protein synthesis (building)
- Increased fat burning to promote further fat loss
- Supports hormone balance
- Improves immune function
- Improves strength during weight training
- Aids in decreasing fatigue & more
Do you really need to buy and take an extra supplement?
- If you are working out in the gym for long hours/training for bodybuilding OR are doing fasted workouts (empty tummy); then yes, BCAAs could benefit you- IF it works for you and you feel it helps YOUR body, not because someone told you to take it!
- If you are a weekend warrior or workout for about 30-60 minutes a day, BCAAs are not really necessary for you.
Meat, dairy, eggs and whey, have these essential amino acids. If you’re eating the right amount of protein for your body, you will get the necessary amount of amino acids. Stick to whole foods, dense lean protein and you will get enough protein necessary to fuel your body and workouts.
I don’t personally take them, although I have in the past, but I never felt they made a big enough difference for me to pay the extra money. Depending on the brand, there may be lots of artificial ingredients and sugar.
Do what works for you and your body!