This is a simple roast chicken recipe; it is super budget friendly and can also be turned into chicken salad and broth, to create more meals. I turned this chicken into a broth here. I used about a 5lb chicken, it was pretty simple to find at my local grocery store.
Simple Rosemary Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 onions
- 5-6 carrots
- 1-2 sweet potatoes or other potatoes of choice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. rosemary
- Preheat oven to 350
- Rinse chicken under cool water and pat dry, then place in a roasting pan.
- Chop onions into 4, leaving the root attached; chop carrots into 3rd and add these to a large mixing bowl.
- Scrub potatoes and chop into quarters and add to the bowl.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil, a little rosemary, salt and pepper to the mixing bowl and combine.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper into cavity of chicken and also cut two small pieces of lemon and place in the cavity of the chicken
- Rub olive oil on the outside of the chicken and sprinkle with salt pepper and rosemary.
- Place all the veggies in the pan around the chicken and add the rest of the lemon.
- Roast the chicken about 1.5-2 hours when the internal temperature is at 165 or the juices between the thigh and leg run clear.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and cover with aluminium, foil and allow to sit for 20 minutes.
- Carve your chicken and serve with veggies.
Containers: I found at a local antique shop, but similar ones here: BEST PRICE Set of 3 Enameled Metal Coffee Tea Sugar Containers